Woo Pig Sooie!

Posted by on Sep 25, 2012 in Feature, Tutorials | 0 comments

This year I’ve been trying my darndest to make gifts for my loved ones even if I also get them something store bought. This past Thursday was my dad’s birthday, and I was a little uncertain of what to get for him. He always tells us not to get him anything, but I like to anyway just to show him that I care. When it comes to getting a gift for my dad, there are a  few stand-by themes that I can choose from: Guinness, poker or the Hogs. For those of you who don’t know, the Hogs (or Razorbacks) are Arkansas’ football team, and my dad is a die-hard fan.

I’ve been seeing lots of string art in the blogosphere and on Pinterest lately, and I’ve been dying to try it out. One day I thought to myself, “Hey! I could make a string silhouette of a Razorback for Dad!” And that’s what I did.


Read More

Recycled Shipping Envelope Tutorial

Posted by on May 24, 2011 in Feature, Tutorials | 0 comments

I’m so excited to be guest blogging over at A Law Student’s Journey and sharing a tutorial for making a shipping envelope out of recycled materials. Check it out!

Read More

Curtains from Bedsheets

Posted by on Jan 12, 2011 in Blog, Feature, Tutorials | 1 comment


When we first toured our house, I instantly fell in love with the room that is now the nursery. Just look at these windows!

There are a total of six. Buying curtains for six windows would cost more money than I wanted to spend. A friend of mine told me how she uses flat sheets as curtains–cheap, easy, and you don’t even have to do any sewing. But with the dimensions of these windows (32″ x 46″ each), that still would not work out. So, I went to a local flea market and found two matching king size fitted sheets. Flat sheets would have been easier to work with, but I was lucky enough to find two of the same color. At only $3 each, I couldn’t pass it up.

In order to make the sheets workable, I ripped the corner seams out and cut off the elastic. Then, I laid them out of the floor and tried to figure out the best way to get all the panels I needed (six from each sheet).

Let me say right here that I am not a spatial thinker. When it comes to measuring things, and really any sort of geometry at all, my mind gets all befuddled and I have to think really hard about it.  I thought I had it figured out, and started cutting and ripping. Too late I realized that I had messed up and now I have a Frankenstein panel, put together from two smaller pieces.

I cut out the pieces I needed. The easiest way to do this is by cutting a little at the end of the fabric and then ripping the fabric the rest of the way. This way you get straight lines and correct measurements.

Now the fun part: ironing! I really don’t like to iron, but it makes sewing the hems so much easier.

I used my sewing/knitting gauge to make sure I had the measurement right throughout. I did a three inch hem at the bottom and the top and a half inch hem on the sides.

After ironing the three inch hem, I went ahead and pinned it to get it ready to sew.

After ironing all the hems, it was time to sew them! It was very simple. I started out with the top seam. I sort of eye-balled the seam allowance at about half an inch.

Then, I sewed a line of stitches an inch from the top to create a casing for the curtain rod.

I used a quarter inch seam allowance on the sides.

What I love most about sewing is that you really can’t screw it up too badly. If you’re like me and tend to daydream a little while sewing and make a mistake, you can just rip out the seam. My seam ripper is my best friend.
After sewing up the sides, you’re done! Super easy and super cheap. They may be simple, but they do the job. I must say I’m quite proud of my little curtains. 🙂
Read More

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers: